UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Default Slimming World?

There is a new WL place in town called Slimming World. Supposedly it's from the UK. Have any of you heard of it? Views of it?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 208/208/135

Height: 5'3"

I know about it but haven't been. It's pretty much just another weight watchers. I looked into both and ended up going with ww as I think it has a much healthier attitude to food and is a lot more flexible.

My main annoyance with slimming world is that they have these things called syns (not sins as they like to point out!). You have however many of them a day and can use them on the 'bad' foods -chocolate, cake etc. The reason I don't like them is that it is in a way reinforcing the throughts that most of us overweight people have about these types of foods, that they are special or naughty treats. I feel that in weight watchers a bar of chocolate is treated the same way as an apple. You can choose to eat either but if you go for the higher points food you will have to eat more sensibly the rest of the day and/or do some exercise. Its more about learning moderation and just sits better for me with the basic rule of weight loss - calories in vs calories burnt.

Having said all that though some people love it and it seems to be getting quite popular over here so I guess its whatever works for you.
AngelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:59 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 279.5/251/150

Height: 5'6

I've never used SW myself, but I've had friends who've had great success with it, as well as hearing stories from other people who found it didn't work for them. I think the appealing thing about it is there are lots of foods that you can eat unlimited amounts of depending on which of the plans you're following, and that makes it simpler in terms of less weighing etc. It also means you never have to worry about being hungry. Personally I agree with AngelD though; I prefer WW because it encourages healthy eating and a healthy attitude to food, plus I've never felt hungry while on it, as there are plenty of things you can do with your no point veg if you need to fill up.
Bakewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/189/120

Height: 5'5

SW has had some pretty good reviews from people who I know who've used it. Some of them swear by it. I've heard that, like the other posters have said, that WW is better in some respects, but it depends on what works for you, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a go
Leontina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #5  
Proud Royal Marine Wife!

S/C/G: 212.6/204.4/135

Height: 5'5"

I did SW a few years ago, and absolutely loved it!!! Lost over 56lbs. I'm originally from the US and used WW when I lived there, so have experience with both. While they are both good, would have to say that I prefer SW. They teach you how to eat healthy and encourage healthy eating, as well. They have different plans to follow, and found it much easier to follow than WW. Trying to lose weight again, so am definitely using the skills for healthy eating and proportion control that I learned from them. Thrilled to see that they have made their way to the US!!

Last edited by LivyBell; 01-24-2010 at 11:02 AM.
LivyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I also heard there were "unlimited foods" on a newsclip I watched. I decided to stop in and see what that was about--it is just next door to my Farmer's Market so it was easy. Anyway, the girl at the desk said there was unlimited fish and poultry for the first three days! Good grief. 3 days? She was very ill informed in my honest opinion on nutrition and on their program--she couldn't explain much about it--which is why I came here.

Thanks for chiming in ladies.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #7  
Proud Royal Marine Wife!

S/C/G: 212.6/204.4/135

Height: 5'5"

She is most definitely very misinformed, and obviously doesn't have a clue. That's a shame!
LivyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 264.5/177/165

Height: 5"5

Hey there,

I've lost 3 stones on slimming world so far and I've recommended it to all my friends and family. It's a great plan and having been on WW before I much prefer the freedom that you have with it. You can eat unlimited amounts of certain foods and no its not just for 3 days lol I have no idea where they got that idea from!!
The whole issue with syns, I think is great because whilst you can eat unlimited amounts of certain foods, you can still incorporate your favourite foods without feeling strained. It's not a plan that makes you 'binge' or feel deprived at all. I would 100% recommend it.

xx
SoulSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote