WW Moderator

Default New Products

Everybody may know these already, but thought somebody might be interested:

Lean Cuisine - 12 New reduced carb dinners

http://www.leancuisine.com/CountingC...rCounting.aspx

Heinz One Carb Ketchup

http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/.../nd1006037.htm

Weight Watchers Smart Ones - 5 new reduced carb dinners

I can't find a link for this one, can somebody verify from an official source that it is true?
Old 01-11-2004, 06:58 PM   #2  
workin' my way back down

Wow, Jennifer, that's terrific! When I clicked on the link inside of the link, I discovered that the Blimpie sub shops in Nassau & Suffolk counties (Long Island to you non-NYers) have introduced some new carb counter menus...... whoo hoo...... I live in Suffolk County!!!
Old 01-12-2004, 01:39 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

why do people keep saying this:
concern is growing that meals high in fat but low in carbs may have longer-term negative health effects on the heart, bones and kidneys.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:10 PM   #4  
2nd time around-er

i'm sure you'll get lots of reasons for this, and i think there are lots of different reasons these beliefs or rumours began.

regardless of the reasons, one fact remains that is true - it is not a good idea to eat zero carbs. or very, very low carbs for a long time.
of course, atkins NEVER supported this, but many people misconstrue atkins and other low-carb diets as a zero-carb diet (i still hear that all the time!!).

and some people have said they were on the atkins diet, when they weren't really - they were just avoiding carbs altogether for more than a year and did have negative health effects from that way of eating.

so unfortunately, if someone does something they shouldn't do, but attribute the consequences to a diet or drug or whatever, then the negative publicity folllows that diet, product, etc, even if it is not really related to it at all.

my best friend's brother followed "atkins" for almost 2 years eating NO carbs and of course had some serious health effects from it. she tried to talk me out of doing it for that reason, but i just told her that her brother was NOT doing atkins and he shouldn't be saying that he was. dr atkins would never have approved of what he was eating (or not eating).

there can be serious damage if a person lives in a high state of ketosis for a long period of time. but atkins limits the time you stay on induction and safely avoids these negative health effects.

there are other reasons why this is perpetuated that have nothing to do with real health risks, but this is what i know about the actual potential risks, and it's not from "doing atkins".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_adnerb
why do people keep saying this:
concern is growing that meals high in fat but low in carbs may have longer-term negative health effects on the heart, bones and kidneys.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:26 PM   #5  

I just had the new atkins wrap from subway- the turkey bacon--- yum yum!
I was surprised at how small it was, but it was really good!
Old 01-12-2004, 08:09 PM   #6  

Macgirl, I was just going to post that. We had the Atkins wrap for dinner, the chicken wrap. I substituted lettuce for the green peppers, but the rest was as ordered by Atkins. Very good, but very small. I'm still hungry.

We went to Hardee's for their low carb thickburger. It's not that thick without a bun and all it is, is a burger with condiments, tomato, onion wrapped in a big lettuce leaf. Still, beats trying to explain what you want.

A big YES! for the Heinz ketchup, and quick low carb meals. I am tired of never having anything quick to fix, except for salad or a meal replacement shake. I sure hope the Lean Cusine/Smart meals taste good.

It's great to see all the new low carb products. As they make more, they will get better and cheaper.

Great answer, YooHoo.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:29 PM   #7  
Baby Steps

Did the book really say how long to be on induction? I know it said not forever. But did it give a time frame?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:45 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

I can't remember - was it 2 weeks? He said you can go longer if necessary, but 2 weeks was the guideline.

Yoo-Hoo, that is a good response. So many people have to take things to exteme measures because they are impatient. The weight will not melt off. People want to lose 10-20 pounds a month, so they assume less carbs will do a better job, just like the same people that assume less calories will do the same thing. Zero carbs or 500 calories a day, either one will damage the system!

In my opinion, and this is what I tell anybody that asks if Atkins is dangerous - regardless, what is more dangerous - Atkins for 6-12 months, or being fat for a lifetime? I did more damage to my body by being fat for 10 years than I can ever do by following Atkins for a few months. (But no, I don't think it is dangerous, as long as it is followed as Dr Atkins wrote. )