Old 01-21-2003, 03:19 PM   #1  

Default Spinach

Ok Chick's,
Don't laugh at my question,lol. Today i bought some fresh spinach to try, Ok here's what i don't know. How do i fix this stuff do i eat it like lettus or with lettus or what
I'm not one who likes to cook But at the same time i'm tired of the same ole same ole every week

Thanks Chuckie
Old 01-21-2003, 03:23 PM   #2  

Chuckie--
I'm not a spinach eater, but my mom steams it then puts vinegar on it--you could do like I do fresh Broccoli and cauliflower-I put it in a micro bowel with olive oil sprinkled on top for about 5 minutes--yum yum!!

mis
Old 01-21-2003, 03:26 PM   #3  
Slimwithin

There's a lot of yummy stuff you can make with fresh spinach. First, make sure it's really clean. If it's the prewashed kind, you should still give it a good rinse. I don't trust those packer. LOL
Make a nice vinegar/oil salad dressing, or a creamy type, whatever you prefer (we have some good recipes in our recipe section).
Spinach Salad

In a bowl put your clean spinach. Add some chopped green onion or thinly sliced red or white onion, some clean sliced raw mushrooms, some bacon bits or pieces and a hard cooked egg or two, sliced or mashed. Add your dressing and toss. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese (or any kind of cheese you like). This makes a filling meal on its own.

How about an Italian Spinach Fritatta (omelet)

Put some butter in your skillet. Lightly brown some chopped green onions, mushrooms and red peppers. Add a good handful of chopped fresh spinach and let it cook gently until just soft. Pour over your beaten eggs that have been seasoned with salt, pepper and Italian herbs. Cook until just set. Sprinkle with some grated cheese (mozzarella is good). Fold one half of the omelet over the other and let sit for a moment to melt the cheese and then slide out onto your place. Yummy.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:31 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wash the spinach carefully in a couple of changes of water because even the "washed" stuff sometimes has grit in it. Shake most of the water off the leaves and put in a covered pan with just that water. Turn to high and turn down to the lowest setting as soon as it starts to cook. It will be done in about 3 minutes!

You can also do it in a steamer which avoids the chance of burning. In either case, it will be very wet when cooked so drain well or you'll have a plate of greenish water!

I serve mine with butter and a gating of nutmeg and sometimes add pine nuts or walnuts. It's good stuff!

The iron content of spinach is better absorbed with a bit of Vitamin C so a squirt of lemon juice can be added too.
Old 01-21-2003, 03:59 PM   #5  
it's always something

I always use fresh spinach instead of lettuce for my salads, and also on sandwiches. I break off the stems, and discard any leaves that are limp.
Old 01-21-2003, 04:31 PM   #6  

Oh! Do the spinach salad thing - VERY good and sooooo tasty and filling! I've even got a semi sweet dressing I make (I took a regular recipe and subbed to make it LC) and EVERYONE here will eat it!

Kel
Old 01-21-2003, 05:13 PM   #7  
Senior Chicky

Angry

This is a recipe that an ol' chickie Kirei posted quite a while back. I've made it and we love it!

Kirei

Spinach Casserole
Another www.allrecipes.com recipe...

Spinich Casserole
2 (10ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained or presteamed)
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (softened- I put in microwave for 30 seconds)
1/2 cup grated parmesan (I use block and grate my own)
1/4 cup of cream

Directions
1-- Preheat oven to *350 F (175 C)
2-- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and milk with a mixer until smooth. Add spinach and mix together with a spoon. Spoon into a small/medium casserole dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese all over the top. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.

Total carbs for entire recipe is 26g. Serves approx. 4 which is 6.5g per servings. This is a generous carb count since the cream cheese is counted as 1g per oz, but it is actually less than 1g per ounce. So enjoy. Perfect for the evening vegetable when you get tired of the same ole' same ole'

Of course, we love it just steamed with a bit of butter on it, too.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:35 PM   #8  
Old Cackler

slowly saute some garlic in olive oil. then dump the CAREFULLY WASHED spinach into the pan, and saute. cover for a minute or so./ great side dish..

or.. take this same spinach and add a touch of cream and a grating of nutmeg and top with sliced, cooked veal or chicken cutlets.

or you can take all that veal./chicken/spinach, top it with a slice of tomato and some mozzarrella or provolone and a sprinkling of oregano and put in a hot oven to melt the cheese...
Old 01-21-2003, 09:25 PM   #9  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

the spinache in garlic is my fav!!!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:03 AM   #10  

Wow it all sounds so good Thanks everyone.

Chuckie