Old 10-11-2002, 01:02 PM   #1  

Default Net Carbs????

I just ate an EAS Myoplex Low Carb bar - Cookies and Cream. Label says only 3g carbs. However, it also said in tiny print that glycerine, lacitol and oligo-fructose are "included in the total calorie count, but not in the carb count."

What does this mean? I did not feel so hot after eating this bar. Does it have more carbs than they say? Is this the "net carb" phenomena, and what is that by the way?
Old 10-11-2002, 01:15 PM   #2  

Let me see if I can explain:

Net carbs are only those carbs that effect blood sugar levels. For example fiber is a carb, but it's not a "bad" carb. So I deduct the grams of fiber from the carb total. It works the same with sugar alchohols, only the manufacturer has already deducted those carbs on the label. Does that make sense?

As for the Cookie and Cream bar, well, it's not one of my favorites. I think it tastes chalky. You might try Carb Solutions bars, I think they are generally the yummiest. My faves are the Choc Mint and Choc Cappucino Crisp.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:20 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Net carb refers to the carbs remaining after the fiber grams have been subtracted. A slice of whole wheat bread might have 22 carbs altogether but only 18 when the four grams of fiber are subtracted. (Not a true example, by the way.)

If you are on Atkins Induction, most folks recommend the KISS method - keep it simple sweetie! Eat real food and track carbs diligently. Although cheese and eggs are very low carb, they do have carbs and this can add up. Bacon, ham and processed meats are also not really 0 carbs if you eat larger servings. It's also easy to get well over 20 carbs on induction if you use low carb bars, wine and some supplements.

I'm sure the other chickies will have more to say on this subject.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:33 PM   #4  

Great, thanks for that. So let me understand...for the purposes of Atkins induction, does this mean that you can subtract fiber grams from total carbs and use the reduced amount? Or should you just err on the safe side and count all carbs. Anyway, I don't plan to have to worry about this next week as I'm just going to be eating plain stuff.

I agree, the bar wasn't so great. I think I'll wait before using bars again, even if just for the taste factor.
Old 10-11-2002, 01:38 PM   #5  

Yes, I just use the lower amount, once I've subtracted the fiber. It's really easy on Fitday because the little box on top of the food page breaks down what you've eaten by fat, protien, carbs and fiber. I just take the carbs and subtract the fiber. Some of fitday's carb counts are different that what's on the package, so I err on the side of caution and use whichever is higher. Like my pepperoni: fit day says 1 carb per serving, the label says 0. So I use the fitday totals instead of creating a custom food.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:01 PM   #6  

I just had to add one more thing. Limit your bars if you find one you like. I bought a bunch of Carbolite bars, they are sugar free and say 0 sugar carbs. The net carbs are 1.3g after you subtract everything. The milk chocolate bars aren't that bad-not a Hersey's but ok. My DH decided to eat 3 of them. Then he had diarrhea. I told him he shouldn't have eaten so many at once because that's what happens. Now he won't eat them at all, which is fine with me. The maltitol is what does it, so just keep it in mind and don't over do. It has a mild laxative effect and may cause gastric discomfort as well as diarrhea.
Old 10-11-2002, 05:39 PM   #7  

Nikki - you made a valid point. I made that same mistake today. I got the stressed-out munchies and ate 3 Carbolite Choc Crisp bars in 4 hours, without thinking about the side effects. Thankfully I'm not having any really bad side effects yet, but I can tell that I'll be suffering later. I really need to find something else to keep in the desk drawer for the dreaded "deadline munchie attack".
Old 10-14-2002, 09:47 PM   #8  

I love the Atkins Advantage chocolate covered coconut and the atkins advantage chocolate covered peanut! YUM! I have to make sure i get the protein to keep my metabolism going !
Old 10-14-2002, 11:42 PM   #9  

The Atkins Endulge bars are pretty good. I have to limit myself. At least their small to start with, it makes it easier for me. Seems like Walmart is always running out, so I buy several when I can get them.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:56 PM   #10  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

Just a note to the wise on this one. many belive that the sugar alcohols are not counted as it does not have much effect on the insulin levels, but i have found that the do for me. i am one that will stall when eating much of these things. i am aslo onw of the sensitive people that when smell foods it can ilicite a reactions from me so to eat the fake or NOT counted sweeteners then it will cause problems so i would not reccomend those things atleast not in induction

best thing to do if you are having cravings it to try a very small piece of darck chocolate. that tends to subside the cravings.

better yet do not have anything for a few days that will get rid of the cravings alltogether. then you will be satisfied with less. when you do taste