Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and Prediabetes chat Summer 2019

Have you been diagnosed with Diabetes, or told you have Prediabetes? Join us here to chat about the importance of weight loss with this disease.

You can follow this link to review the Spring Chat.

https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dia...ng-2019-a.html

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-28-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattygirl63 View Post
fatmad That will be really nice to have your DD closer to home and able to be home more. I miss my kids with them living so far from us. I think that is great that your DH is going to be working out with you.

Carol Sue Congratulations on the lower bs readings. You are doing really well. I believe you will have a really good A1c next time. I honestly believe using our meter to learn how food affects us is the best way to go. I know there are many different diets out there as to how to eat to lower bs, but I have learned through the years that this method has given me better results than any other except when I did Atkins. When I heard that my step-sisters DH controls his bs by checking the individual food affects his blood sugar and if it spiked it too high, he scratched that food off his allowed foods after he tested to find if he could eat smaller servings of it. He did this on his own before The Personalized Diet book was written. I have been surprised at the foods that actually lower my blood sugar, or raises it a little or spikes it considerably. This morning I found that my BPC made with MCT oil rather than coconut oil didn't affect my blood sugar at all. FBG was 127 this morning and 2 hrs later when I got back from the store it was still 127. Interesting because the BPC made with coconut oil or no coconut oil with HWC, my FBG falls lower than FBG and hr later. Very interesting info.
All this has also showed me why CAD works even when just following the original plan.

I got up this morning and made my coffee and went to store. I got foods so that I can start doing a 2MAD no snack. I will have MCToil coffee in the morning which will help me go without anything to eat until 3 when DH and I eat our main meal. Then around 8, I will make a fajita stir-fry and have that to hold me over until 3 the next day. This is the way I ate growing up and I see no reason I can't do it again. The only difference is that my meals were lunch by 2 and then supper was around 5:30. It should still be the same results as when I was young. I probably grew up on a 19 to 20 hr fast before we ever heard of IF. I hope to get back to eating that way again. I too want to stop eating after 8 pm. I trust Dr. Fung's IF program because that was my natural way of eating growing up and I never had a weight problem or diabetes until I was told I had to eat 3 meals and snacks everyday. Oh how I wish had not listened to those peoples stupid rules.

I guess that sounds crazy to others but this is why I have finally learned not to allow anyone to talk me into doing anything else but what I have learned works for me. I don't really don't care what research or tests say because my personal experience of what I can and cannot eat tells me what I need to do. Plus just like one book I recently read says... just because something works in animal testing doesn't mean it will work for humans. Another thing you need to know is Who is paying for those tests and are they biased trying learn what really happens or are they trying to convince me they are right by leaning the results towards their claims. Another problem I've heard about is sometimes the results are not what the tests said but what a group of people decided the results mean according to "their" opinion.

My main meal today was home made tacos and I ate NSA diet ice cream followed by my coffee. BS before meal was 111. 1 hr later bs was 204 way too much of a spike. The thing I did different this time was that I didn't have a big salad with it like I usually do so I probably didn't have it balanced right. However, I will not make that mistake again and I might end up finding that it will have to be moved to my not allowed foods. I will check it every hr to see how long it takes for the bs to come back down. However, that I do know that with a spike like that, that particular combo can never be eaten again.

Had a real scare today. Baby sister called and said that her oldest son had gone out on the lake (they live on a lake) in a row boat and hadn't come back. She said they hadn't heard from him since 8 am and he said he was lost and the water was choppy. They had called the county to send out a rescue to look for him. She wanted me to get a prayer vigil going for his safety. Turns out he had ended up in a cove and couldn't row himself out of it. Thank God he is back home and fine. We are so thankful.

Hope everyone is having a good day.
Trish, we were posting at the same time so I carried your post over here so I could respond.

That is very interesting that blood sugar goes down using HWC or Coconut Oil but not MCT oil. Do I have that right, or is it the other way around, because you said you will have the coffee with MCT oil tomorrow. I think I would run that test again to see if I get the same results. I often think hormones come into play with blood sugar too, not just diet/exercise. Stress, too.

I wonder what caused the spike at dinner, the taco or the ice cream. It could have been the combination of the two. Did you check the carbs on the ice cream? NSA could still have too many carbs. I don't know what the manufactures are thinking. Diabetics shouldn't have sugar, but carbs as just as bad. Have you ever tried one of the new Low Carb Frozen desserts? One is Halo, and I'm not sure of the name of the other one. I hear they are expensive but taste pretty good. I hate when I get a 200. It's like a red light going off. A woman on the LC forum is doing a self test on artificial sweeteners. She is using different ones for a week and testing BS. Looking to find one that has the least effect on blood sugar. It could still be different for different people, but she is doing it for her own self.

What a scare with your nephew. He should probably check the weather reports before he goes out in the future. Thank God he was found safe and sound.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #3  

FBG was over 100. 112. Last night DH made popcorn. I grabbed 1 handful as I walked by, so maybe 12 kernels? I also drank a half bottle of Powerade. It is sugar free but probably has AS. 112 is not earth shattering.

All we got here was a 10 minute thunderstorm. Very lucky. Devastation all over PA. God does such a good job of taking care of me. My heart breaks for those not so lucky.

I am trying to understand first and second insulin response. I read about it for hours last night. Damage to beta cells cause completely different responses in diabetics. I think this explains why plans don't work the same for all of us, because we don't all have the same degree of damage. Each person can find that one little tweak that makes a world of difference. It is so individual. I am glad that we, in this forum, allow each other to do our own experimenting and find out own way.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:40 AM   #4  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

149 this am. This is supposed to be an eating day, but I don't feel like making something for lunch before work. I only have a couple of hours of work so far today, so could be home for lunch. I will fast if I have to work longer. I worked the afternoon shift (LOL, as if we have shifts) from about 330-midnight, and a lovely baby boy, so all nice with work.

Carol: so pleased for you that you are getting the benefits of hard work. Your numbers are better than ever. I think the successful weight loss earlier this year has had good benefits as well, and now when you can stick to plan you are getting double the benefits.

Trish: yes, don't let anyone bully you into changing what works well. You have had some good success and can keep that up.

Have a lovely day everyone.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I drank the coffee with Stevia, HWC and 1/2 T MCToil this morning and checked about 2 hrs later instead of 1 mainly because baby sister and I talked quite a while and I forgot to check at 1 hr. However, again the bs reading came down rather than up. So I feel this is a good thing for me. FBG was 130 which I'm sure is because of the high carb meal yesterday. The NSA ice cream had sugar alcohols, but did have some sugar I'm sure. I think a nice big salad would have helped lower the bs reading yesterday but I will be very careful with NSA foods from now own. In fact, within 4 hrs, my bs went from the 204 reading down to 130. I did eat a small meal of 4 meatballs and home made cole slaw to hold me over until todays 1st meal which I have to go cook in a few minutes.

I'm glad you were protected from the storms and sorry about those around you having such devastation.

fatmad Thank you. I have learned what works for me and as long as it works then I will keep doing what I am. I will still remain open to new ideas that enhance what I am doing, but at my age, I'm not changing. As DH#2 always said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". LOL

I feel like I have moved into the way I want to eat. I think the BPC made with MCToil is a doable thing for me so that I can wait and eat only 2MAD. I have spent the past 5 months experimenting and it is time to just work the plan. I am more LCHF although not really high fat. I made some new fat bombs that tastes more like Reese's pieces which I will finish my last meal with so that I feel like I get a treat instead of the diet ice cream. I may do some food checks to see how new foods affect bs, but I was doing so well before with what I was done and now that I feel I have learned what works for me it is time to just go with it.

Baby sister said the rescue people were so happy when they found my nephew because they said it is rare to find them alive. Come to find out, he had been spared last week in a shooting that was happening at a job he was going to work at some event in Dallas. He does the sound system etc for different events. A guy went nuts and started shooting people. Evidently it was in the news but none of us heard or if we had, we wouldn't have known it was on a job he was working. We are very thankful for God's Goodness in protecting him. So we did see a real miracle.

Y'all have a great day.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #6  

I was really hungry for some cooked cabbage and onion today. I was very surprised to see that I didn't have any cabbage. Cabbage keeps a long time and I usually have a head and just cut off a piece to cook. On my shopping list now. It stormed off and on most of the day so I didn't go out anywhere. I will have no choice tomorrow. DH went out to play the lottery. He would have bought the couple things we need but I didn't ask him. He prefers that I go.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:05 PM   #7  

fatmad I just realized that you are back down to 149. That is great.

Remember my weight was higher when he moved the scale and I'm not sure how accurate they are, but my weight was back down to 216 this morning. I did see 213 once the past few weeks, but it doesn't stay there.

DS got so the neurosurgeon who gave her the results of the MRI on that place on her brain that they thought 3 yrs ago was a brain bleed decided it wasn't a bleed because they still saw it when she fell a few weeks ago. The doctor told her it isn't anything to worry about as it is just aging. So she is fine. That was so good to know.

BS before dinner was 104 and the reading and hour after was 182. 4 hrs after it was 121. I had chicken wings, pickled beets with it and I always drink milk with main meal. I always have Great Value ranch dressing on my 2 c salad. I'm thinking that I need to go back to EVOO and ACV on my salad. I will start doing that again and see how that affects bs.

I've just about decided that I should go a minimum of 5 hrs between my main meal and my evening meal or snack. This will make m eating around 9, but that shouldn't be a problem since I don't go to bed until 1 or 1:30 am. This will still give a long fast from 9ish pm until when we eat at 3ish the next day. I have kind of learned that it takes my body about 5 hrs sometimes 6 hrs after a meal for my bs to return to its lowest number for the day. When I did this once before, I got my A1c below 6. It was a high 5 but it was below 6 and I want to do that again. I think my fingers will be happy if I do that too because they are really getting sore from all this testing. LOL

I've got my personal plan that I can live with so that is what I'm going to do. I don't think I'm eating big portions but I notice I'm feeling full faster so I think it is time to cut my portions down too. But then that might be the fat that is causing me to feel so full.

Checked bs 5 hrs after main meal and reading was back down to 107 showing the new plan will be a good plan for me. I figure my long fast will be approximately 18 to 18.5 hrs each day eating this way.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 05-30-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:10 AM   #8  
Madeleine

Carol: hope the weather is better today and you get out. We have had rain for a couple of days, but with enough breaks to get out for a bit, DH and I had a walk together around the block (big subdivision curvy block, about 25 minutes worth), after supper. Did you get on the recumbent bike at least?

Trish: I'm thinking the pickled beets may be part of the problem. A lot of pickles have sugar, and if your beets are like mine, they are quite sweet.

150 this am after normal eating (for me) yesterday. Today is a fasting day. DD is home tomorrow evening. There were some issues with her airline about their computers and several flights were changed or cancelled, we are hoping things are well in hand by tomorrow and any problems are cleared up. Younger DD is coming with us to get her, so we will all be together again, hasn't happened since November.

Have a good day everyone.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #9  

Still raining. If I have to go to the store, I will. It's just rain. I'm just a homebody who will use any excuse available to stay home.

Glad to hear that your family will be back together, again,

I had to google pickled beets, as I was pretty sure they were not the same as what I refer to as pickled beets. My mother used sliced canned beets and added vinegar and some sliced onion. So that's what I do. I see that a recipe for pickled beets calls for sugar and some other things which would make them bad for blood sugar. I love beets and even though they are a root vegetable with more natural sweetness than other vegetables, I think as they are they are a healthy addition to any diet. Hard core low carbers would beg to differ.

FBG is creeping back up, at 117 this morning. That is way lower than I was getting for a very long time, but still a red flag for me. I think the culprit was some mac and cheese I ate at lunch time yesterday. DH made it and left it on the stove when he was finished. I did clean up and "cleaned out the pot" so to speak. My blood sugar was higher than I like, around 147 for the rest of the day in spite of taking G. It was 139 at bedtime, only coming down to 99 overnight. That is still 20 points higher than it usually is overnight. Mac and cheese is going to be a hard one for me to give up. I know there are subs, but I don't want a sub. I want good old old-fashioned mac and cheese. I either have to learn to live without it, or accept that it's going to give me a spike. The spikes are still nowhere near what they used to be but still......

I had some problems getting in here this AM, I don't know if anyone else did. I think it was the internet in general, because I had problems getting into the library website, too. 2 of my electronics had dead batteries this morning, then the internet didn't want to cooperate on the PC. I was having withdrawal symptoms. LOL

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-30-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:24 PM   #10  

Carol Sue and Fatmad I think you are right about the pickled beets. I wanted something different and DH like Harvard beets, but I usually eat either plain or pickled beets so we had beets. Carol the beets with vinegar and onions sounds good. I will try that next time.

I looked at my bs reading for the past 5 months and there was a time when I had my FBG below 120 all the time. I want to get back to doing that again. My FBG isn't running really high this month so it is better and I want it to be even better. It was 137 this morning and seems to run in 120s to 130s lately. Weight is consistently and slowly coming down too. I'm happy as long as it comes down. I don't care if it is slow because that is normal for my age and moving down is always good.

I don't like eating so late. I had stomach problems eating that late so I decided to go back to eating breakfast and the 5 or 6 hrs later eat our main meal. I'm going to do my best not to eat anything after. I really want to do my best not to eat late at night. I think that was what I was doing when my FBG was lower a few months ago. I need to get back to regular exercise to help with the FBG too. When DH and I married, I would not eat allow one morsel of food to cross my lips after 4 pm. I need to go back to that rule again.

Making personal pizzas for dinner today. I will make a big salad and then cut back on some of the stuff I put on it. Plus I will use EVOO and ACV on the salad. I have stopped eating regular crackers as I now make crispy cheese as crackers now. A lady on FB CAD is diabetic and her husband makes bread like deal with cream cheese and a bunch of different kinds of cheeses. She took a picture of it as she used it to make sandwiches with. It looks good, but I don't have any parmesan cheese or I would try using it as a pizza dough substitute. I actually thought of taking this small pizza dough I get for personal pizzas and trimming down to make it a smaller pizza and cut down on cal/carb that way. Maybe the big salad with EVOO & ACV and less toppings will keep it from spiking my bs too much. Will see. I had my eggs and bacon with 2 sl toast this morning and one cup of coffee. I only used the HWC for the fat w/o MCT oil. I know the fat is supposed to be okay, but I don't know about having it everyday. I need to go slow adding it back into my diet any way. I used a nice amount of butter on my toast. I don't think my stomach tolerates too much fat so not sure I can do LCHF although I do eat more fat than I used to.

Carol Sue I see more rain coming your way. I hope you get a break so you can go to the store.

Fatmad Great that you will have the 2 girls together for a while. I hope your DD flight gets in without any more problems. Enjoy.

I think your weight is in that half way stall mode, but with it bouncing like it is you will probably see a new low again soon.

I put a FB message out to Daddy's family and friends that he is going to be 96 next month and I gave his address so those who can go see him this month can and those who can't can send him birthday cards. I found out that the wife of the guy who goes to see Daddy every Thursday went to see him Tuesday. Also when I talked to baby sister, she said that she and her husband go to see him and he tells them DS and I call but he hadn't seen us. Come to find out the niece who texted me to get the address did go see him. She, my nephew and their 2 little boys went to see him Memorial day. So people are going to se him whether he remembers are not. DS said he won't have his new phone until Saturday or Sunday because her DH will have show Daddy how to use it. However, they set it up so he can make calls by telling it to call us. He just has to say "call Patricia" and he can call me. Maybe he won't be able to mess it up that way.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:21 PM   #11  

I did very well with my food today. I had fried eggs and two slices of low calorie toast for breakfast. After that my blood sugar tested at 167 so I took a G. Before dinner blood sugar was 80. All I had for dinner was rotisserie chicken, no carbs. Right now blood sugar is 85, but it might go a little higher as the evening goes on. If it goes down, then that means I took too much G. Somewhere along the way I had a half banana, I think it was around lunch time, and I had some almonds. We buy them at Walmart, roasted with sea salt.

We did go to Walmart, Goodwill and the local grocery store. I prefer their rotisserie chicken and they also had eggs on sale so I got them. DH got ice cream. I will try as hard as I can to stay away from it. No promises, but I know once I have the first bite I'm in trouble. I am liking the fact that I feel so much better when blood sugar is low so I will try to behave.

It was only lightly sprinkling when we went to the store. I just wore my jacket with the hood.

I hope your Dad is able to work the new phone. It will be good for him to use voice calling. It's mainly important that he leaves it on and answers when you call. I wouldn't worry about him saying that you and your sister never go to see him. I think he just has a hard time remembering from day to day. It's fine. Everyone seems to be paying attention to him..

My computer was all screwed up today. I don't know if it had anything to do with this morning when I couldn't get on the site. It looked like I changed my seach engine, and also my home page. I never change them intentionally. But they were gone and I had a difficult time getting them back. Still after I did that, the screen didn't look the same. DH looked at it and got it restored to the way I want it. I don't know what he did, and I didn't know he knew how to do that.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 05-30-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #12  

Carol Sue There are a lot things going on with computers lately. I try to remember to run a clean check on my computer on Fridays, but have been having to do it more than that some times. We use PC Matic and we got a message recently there is a scam where you get a message that you need to call Microsoft because you have a virus, but our PC Matic said not call the number. They will clean out your computer and all your information. I have things happen on mine lately that I could never fix on my own. Thankfully DH has always been able to fix it.

My bs reading was weird after dinner. I had a nice size salad with EVOO & ACV. I didn't put as much stuff on my pizza. I had my glass of milk the cheese crisps and decided to have yogurt and a fat bomb with my coffee. Before dinner was 107. About an hour after bs was 166 which wasn't bad. I was expecting it to lower about 2 hrs, but it had gone up to 173. Then 4 hrs later it was 151. I guess the good thing is that it was less than 180 and I thank goodness I haven't had a 200 + except that one time. I'm thinking it must be the xylitol in the fat bomb. Maybe next time we do pizza, I will try to have the stuff for the cheese bread and use it in place of the pizza dough. I have no way to check the carbs in the fat bombs but maybe I can estimate it.

I'm glad the weather was nice to you so you could get your shopping done.

Baby sister called and she and her hubby are bringing my nephew, their youngest to my house to spend the night. Something about they (I assume the kids and these are grown kids) got in a big argument and he has no where to go so they wanted to know if he can come here tonight and they will work something else out tomorrow. Sounds like he and his live in girl friend are having problems and the family took her side against him, but they didn't say just that she is staying with his brothers daughter. Life does get interesting sometimes. He is one of her boys that used to come stay with my after DH#2 died because I homeschooled them. I told DH that my Baby sister and BIL need to get a place of their own so they can be there for there kids even when they are all mad at each other.

I'm finished eating for today and hoping for a good FBS tomorrow. I think if I can eat my 2 meals during the day and stop eating at night that my bs will be better in time. DH has loads of G left and sometimes it is tempting to take it especially when bs goes over 150 after main meal but I have done this without meds for so long and I do want to do this with any meds at all. I really think formal exercise is the thing I need to add to my treatment. So that is the goal for next week.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:39 AM   #13  

Trish the G your DH has is a high dose. If you are not eating enough carbs to compensate you could get a serious hypo.unless you use a pill cutter and take less. I don't like to take it with my second meal because I could get a hypo and not know it because I'm sleeping. Also, I had begun using it as a crutch. I would eat carbs knowing I could offset it with the G. I still take smaller amounts but feel much better knowing I'm slowly getting off it. You know you can do this without G. 160 or 180 is acceptable after a meal containing carbs and you don't get those numbers every dsy.

When I went to bed BS was 106. I did not check overnight. FBG was 101. The only carbs I had were at breakfast when I had toast. Zero carbs the rest of the day depending on what they use to inject into the rotisserie chicken. I am not blind to that possibility. However I am starting to believe that the fewer carb you eat the more sensitive you become to them when you do eat them. I think it could be better to have a small portion of carb at each meal but never to eat carb alone without protein with it. And maybe this only applies to me.

Trish DH didn't mention the casino yesterday but indirectly he indicated he does not want to quit going so I guess I was right.. We don't have any free food until June starts.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:43 AM   #14  
Madeleine

148 this am. I am feeling like I am moving in the right direction, and can get a handle on getting down some more this summer. Today will be an eating day, and tomorrow as well. Then I will go back to alternate day fasting starting Sunday. At least that is the current plan.
Trish: I know you can't go as high fat as I eat, but do give yourself plenty of fat in those 2 meals a day, it will make it easier to avoid snacking. I truly no longer really get hungry outside of my 2MAD. Maybe still a bit when I wake up, but that settles with my tea with cream. (fat is ok then, and you do the BPC, which is similar). I only get hungry on fasting days, and I have learned to ignore that feeling, drink tea or water when it comes, and eat some salt or drink some pickle juice to power through if it gets tough. (yes pickle juice, and it works!)
Carol: hope that things keep getting better for the next while. I think you are really getting a handle on your sugars, your eating etc. Figuring out how to manage around DH and his eating habits is really helping. Re the mac and cheese, was it just the boxed kind? We have taken to adding shredded cheese to ours, and the fat slows down the sugar bump. The "sauce" packet for boxed mac and cheese is loaded with sugar, as well as salt of course. Not a lot of cheese, but plenty of flavour. My family really loves it with added cheddar that we grate into it. Of course, I can't have it now. Have not bothered with gluten free version. I don't need the carbs.

We are cleaning the house today, to get ready for DD return, I'm on a break. Hope you all have a lovely day too.

DD comes today. and then leaves early Monday for the sailing job. (Florida to Panama as crew on a sailboat). We may book her an hotel at the airport for Sunday night, for maximum sleep. She will still be turning around from Germany time, and has to get up early for the flight, so that will help a bit, and means we don't have to wake up in the middle of the night to get her to the airport. The cost of the hotel is often less than the cost of the airporter that you hire, so its kind of a wash. They have the free or $5 shuttles to the airport from all the hotels nearby. So we only really have 2 days of her, but then she is back in 2 weeks, and here until the beginning for August when she starts the new job. DH is over the moon about her being around more.
Younger DD also had great news yesterday, she got into the social work program she wants. So look at her, has completed a bachelor's degree now, and moving into a career program, and may actually have a good job in a couple of years. So happy for her.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:25 AM   #15  

Mad, glad to hear all the good news for your daughters. They are developing into responsible adults, like we want our kids to do.

This particular mac and cheese was the boxed, which DH eats often, me rarely. It was prepared for his lunch and I don't usually eat lunch, but he left it out on the stove and I ate it. So, no opportunity to add the grated cheese, which would have ruined it for DH, and it WAS his lunch! LOL
Closed Thread