Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:20 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Flex Talk #16

Whew, that last thread was expanding rapidly! Here is our new home!

Here's a place where we can discuss Flex and WW, as well as issues of our everyday lives. New Flexers are always welcome, so please join in, to give and get support and encouragement on your weight loss journey.

Flexers that attend meetings, At-Home Flexers, and anyone just curious about Flex are all welcome here.

If you need the old thread, it is here:
http://3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151822

Last edited by suitejudyblueeyes; 10-10-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:29 AM   #2  

Mod - Eek! Mice! And I'm sure the baby will be happy where ever the baby ends up, so long as mommy and daddy are nearby!

Kestrel - Hang in there for those last three years! My dad was in the Navy for 21 years, and it was tough when he was sent off on a cruise for six months at a time. But from what I hear the retirement benefits at 20+ years are totally worth the wait Congrats on the loss!

LeeAnn - Ouch, getting up at 5 sounds like no fun! Hope things calm down for you and that you see that loss you're looking for.

KimL - As for your points level, just see how it goes. if you feel you need an extra snack on the nights you waitress, have an extra point or two. Alternately, if you are eating the extra point or two and aren't losing very well, try dropping it for a couple weeks. Just play around til it feels right! As for eating all your points... well... I think a LOT of people have this problem when they first start WW because they believe they need to eat small, 1 or 2 points snacks and meals and end up way below their daily level. WW is not about deprivation. WW would not give you points you are not supposed to use! If you routinely don't use all your points your body will get used to such a diminished level of intake and your weight loss will adjust accordingly (as in, your body will hang on to more of what you give it). So while once in a blue moon it's ok to eat below your daily target, please try to get within a point or two of your target EVERY day, ideally meeting it 99% of the time! Toss out the WW soups and 1 point yogurt and whatever, eat full-fat varieties and nuts and avocados and make sure you get your 2 oil servings in until you are more comfortable eating all of your points.

Shrink - Yes, I got the blanket for my nephew finished, along with a couple of little hats! Turns out his head is FREAKIN HUGE so one of the hats I made was too small, but the other one fits well as I made a larger one with the thought that he'd grow into it. Well, no growing necessary! I hope you are feeling better. Your soup sounds good, I make a similar one with kale instead of spinach and it is fantastic! (Kale is the most nutritionally dense vegetable, apparently, so I've been working it into my food more often.) I haven't seen Faerie around lately either - she was posting down in the biggest loser part but I haven't seen a post recently. She was about to leave her job and remember she gets married in pretty much a week... so I'm sure she's busy busy!

vday - I am so glad to see you back I know you came back a little while ago but I am not sure I told you that yet! It sounds like you are making good progress... back away from the 200's...

nessa - that is strange that your meeting was canceled. When my leader is not there there are always others around who can run it... Strange! I can't keep cereal in the house, I totally eat the whole box in a day or two...

Ok! So here I am post-nephew. The last six days have been ROUGH on my waistline, let me tell you. I am seeing 188s, which is a long way from where I last weighed-in. Part of me doesn't want to go to the meeting tomorrow so I don't have to face this reality, but I am going to make myself. This is when I need the meetings the most! I have been slacking off on exercise too. I am just generally in a little bit of a WW funk, but I know I can pull myself out of it. I'm at one of those places - where I am at the lowest weight I've been as an adult, and therefore the lowest place I am mentally comfortable. I think that is contributing to me being stuck where I am. I have been right here, 186/187 since August! I would love to see the 170's by the end of the year... we have 12 weeks and I'm sure I can do it if I get myself back on track.

In other news, DH finally got a little side job. He's been looking for something to do while he finishes his dissertation and applies for academic jobs, and he finally was offered a job at this neat little local coffee place. I am kind of jealous, I think it would be a ton of fun to work there! (Case in point: the first question he was asked by the owner during his interview was "tell me a joke"... I have no idea what I would have said!) Today is his training day, I hope he has a good time. From my end, having been the sole money maker for so long now, it sure will be nice for him to be contributing to the household in some small way!

And finally, for those who are curious, a newborn baby He's barely an hour old here. Note his giant barrel chest!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Ok well I'm copying my huge post from this morning over here so it won't get missed!!!

OK I have seriously been gaining too much weight. My thighs feel fat. My size 10's are starting to get tight around my legs. It needs to stop! I think the problem was that I would gag whenever I even THOUGHT about eating vegetables for quite a few weeks there. Well my nausea is almost pretty much gone so I cut up a pepper and some carrots today for snacks and I didn't get sick to my stomach when I was cutting them up so I think I will be OK to eat them. I'm also going to buy salad veggies tonight (woohoo) and start eating healthier and more balanced meals. I'm hoping that I can just maintain where I am for a few weeks at least. I don't want to lose the weight, just want to sort of "even out" the gaining. I don't mind gaining weight for the baby, but I want it to be healthy!

So DH and I were talking last night. We were going to re-finish half of our basement and move some stuff down there to have a big room for the baby. Well, we went over our finances and it just isn't going to happen. We have a smaller bedroom that needs some work (paint, new floor, heating vent) and we are going to do that room instead and put the baby in that room. Its nursery size, and then in a few years when we move the baby to the larger room we will have the money to re-do the basement. It WAS finished when we bought the house, but then we found out we have mice nesting in the walls and so we un-finished it. We found out how the mice were getting in and sealed that up. We were mice free last winter, so I felt Ok with re-finishing the room. Oh well

Jaime - Congrats on your new little nephew!

lizzy - Do you have a recipe for that white bean soup? It sounds yummy!

vdaybaby - I think finances are hard on everyone right now Way to go on the walking! I need to do more of that.

nessa - Wow, I would have been a little annoyed if I went to my meeting and then there was no meeting like that! Did you end up making it to another one?

KimL - on your loss!

Joslynn - I had a bad run in with cereal yesterday. I have been so hungry in the morning. I ate a bowl of cereal and was still hungry. So I had another bowl. BAD IDEA! I cannot eat large amounts of food in one sitting anymore. No more room! I felt miserable until later in the afternoon!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:19 AM   #4  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

morning all i haven't posted in a few days didn't get much sleep yesterday and ended up at the doctors with bronchitis and a ear canal infection...ugg. so anyways am recouping and still planning on starting on monday.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by me4life View Post
morning all i haven't posted in a few days didn't get much sleep yesterday and ended up at the doctors with bronchitis and a ear canal infection...ugg. so anyways am recouping and still planning on starting on monday.
Yuck! I hope you feel better soon!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #6  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

you and me both
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 312.0/ticker/212.0

Height: 6'0"

Jaime, your nephew is adorable. Nephews are the bestest thing (nieces are good too, but nephews are so much better) I have several nieces and only one nephew and he is so much fun. I hope you enjoy being an Aunt! Remember to buy him drums for his first birthday--it's your "Aunt"iful duty.

Congratulations!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #8  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

jaime - Congrats on your nephew, he's adorable! Sorry to hear about the WW funk, but there's definitely time for you to make it to the 170s by the end of the year. Our starting weights and height are pretty much identical, so it's really encouraging for me to see your loss, and I can't wait until the day that I'm in the same spot.

mod - Just eat healthy (under the guidance of your health care provider, of course!) and your body will do what it needs to do. I gained the least with my first daughter (gained about 30 lbs), and she ended up being 10 lbs! And sorry about the mice in your nursery-to-be.

me4life - Sorry to hear you're sick, I hope you start feeling better soon.

Still plugging along here. For the next week or so I'll be avoiding wheat and legumes (in addition to dairy and soy) to try to figure out more potential allergy issues with my 2 month old, so I'll have to get a little more creative with my meal planning.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel View Post
mod - Just eat healthy (under the guidance of your health care provider, of course!) and your body will do what it needs to do. I gained the least with my first daughter (gained about 30 lbs), and she ended up being 10 lbs! And sorry about the mice in your nursery-to-be.
Oh no mice in the nursery! They WERE in the basement, but we got rid of them a year ago and they have not been back since!

As for the wheat, etc is your baby getting allergic reactions (hives, trouble breathing, etc) or just digestive problems?

Last edited by modkittn; 10-10-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #10  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 210/210/160

Height: 5' 8"

Doh, I read it as mice being in the nursery. My brain doesn't really know I'm awake yet.

She's showing signs of a food intolerance to something in my diet, not an IgE allergic reaction. Mainly digestive issues (TMI - mucousy poops with streaks of blood, and lots of screaming and what appears to be stomach discomfort) though dairy in my diet (both cow's milk and goat milk) caused some eczema. All 3 of my children have had dairy & soy protein intolerances, so I wasn't surprised by that one. But I've been keeping a food diary (which WW online is making a lot easier!) and yesterday she was just screaming and inconsolable, and that was following several days with a lot of wheat and legumes in my diet. I'm going to eliminate both of those for several days, then introduce one back in to see if I can narrow it down.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 345/280/160

Hello! I have just finished reading Thread # 15. I have not posted much but I have been lurking at 3fc for a few years now. This thread seems great! I have been doing WW since 09/07 and so far I have lost 110 pounds. It has been great for me so far but I still have about 50-70 more pounds to lose. I say 50-70 because I really won't know until I get there. I currently weigh 235 and I am 5'8". The BMI says I should weight 164 or less to be a normal weight so we will see.
I stopped going to WW meetings in June of this year for financial reasons and have been doing it at home. My weight loss has slowed down quite a bit in the past month or so, and I am thinking that it may be somewhat of a plateau. Anyway, I plan on shaking up my plan a bit to see what happens.
I look forward to getting to know all of you. You all seem like a great group of people!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #12  

me4life - feel better! does it still look like you'll be re-starting tomorrow?

steph - Ooh, drums! I'm pretty excited to play with him as he gets older, and I think my husband is just going to adore him... My dad is obviously very proud as well as this is his first grandson and in our family boys are hard to come by (everyone has girls!).

kestrel - Goodness, there is a lot to consider! I hope you are on your way to getting it figured out. It can be done, I'm sure, and I know it's worth it for your little one. Let us know if we can help by digging up a recipe or anything

Tracy - Hi! What AMAZING progress you have made, congratulations on that! I agree with not knowing what your goal is til you get there. My number is totally arbitrary, I picked it because it's 10% four times Keep us posted on your progress and let us know if we can be of any help!

Well I am feeling nice and committed to the cause today. I exercised for the first time in a week and a half last night and who wants to work so hard and then undo it all with poor eating the next day? Last night I made up a couple different kinds of soup (apple-ginger butternut squash (1 point!) and a vegetarian chili (2 points!)) and froze them, today I will be making potato, sausage, and kale soup and a beef barley stew in the crockpot as well. I feel better with a well-stocked freezer, these things are the equivalent of Lean Cuisine for me, I just grab one quickly to bring to work for lunch.

Has anyone heard of putting canned pumpkin in chili before? It was suggested at my meeting yesterday and I had never heard of it. They say you can't taste the pumpkin, it makes the chili nice and thick, and makes it really, really filling. Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #13  
New Chick

S/C/G: 235/223/145

Cool

Hi all may I join? This is my fourth week on WW and so far 5.1 down. I go the gym quite often...(It's a requirement for my degree )The last stretch I did was 6 days. I am taking today off but back to it tomorrow. I am married and in college with no children but a dog, lizzard and a ferret. I am a photographer on the side and once I'm at goal, I will be stepping to the other side of the camera for "goal" pictures.

I hope you all have a great day
~Christina

Last edited by LadyBurchett; 10-12-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 148/143/115

Height: 5'3"

Default back...maybe?

Hi all...I've definitely been not concerned about dieting or exercise at all the past few weeks. Thankfully I have not gained back any of the weight I lost the whole 1-2 weeks I was trying. I guess I'm back now...I think I need to start frequenting the site more to get some support. I don't know anyone where I live now that can really help me out or that I'm even interested in sharing this with, so 3FC will be a big motivator for me!

WW flex program worked so well my first time around, I lost 25 lbs. Now I've gained 10 back, but I'm ready to commit and see this thing through. No more mini goals, just time to plow right through!

Last edited by mandos; 10-12-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 345/280/160

Thanx for the welcome Jaime! I will definitely keep you up to date about my losses and decisions I am leaning toward as far as a goal. I know for sure that I want to be under 200 but I just do not know how far so we will see.

I had a pretty good day. Just got home from our Bible Study awhile ago and just trying to wind down for bed. I have decided that I am going to try and change a few things for the upcoming week. I think I have been going a little over points in the evenings by just eyeballing portions. I need to get back to exact measuring and it also would not hurt to write everything down since I tend to have a bite here and there throughout the day that I do not count. No wonder my weight loss has slowed down right?? At least I know the problem and can solve it.

I am looking forward to posting here!!
Closed Thread