Old 09-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #1  

Default Need Help 4 Myself Ad 11yr Old Son

Hello Everyone

I have been around these boards for quit some time. The problem is I never stay and paticipate long enough to see the results that are needed. As my title stats I need help for myself and my son and it is past time for change.

I am over thee hundred pounds and I hate to post what my 11 year old(will be 12 in DEC) weighs, he is the size of an adult. I know I have myself to blame for his conditon becuase if I didnt introduce him to the foods that he now so loves maybe he wouldnt be in this shape. I have many health problems and I am very scared that he will follow the bad health road as well. The latest problem that I am having that is almost unbearable is constant knee pain. I can hardly walk and have missed numerous days from work due to this problem. I have been to different doctors and I am currently going for therapy also, nothing helps. I was given perscription meds and pain patches. My husband has gone out and spent a mini fortune on OTC things I stay on line trying every home remedy I can find nothing helps. I'm even loosing sleep because the pain is so intense at night. I have been told it's Osteoarthritis by one doctor and Neuropathy by another. Sorry to gon on so long about this knee pain but it is driving me out of my mind.

On another note, I know WW doesnt take childern as young as my son, however I feel it cant hurt him. I cant make it to meeting for a number of reasins(have been in the past so I have all the info) I have set up our own little WW. We just started Thursday and that will be our meeting day. I have set him up with his points and weigh in card we talk just like the meetings. Wish me luck on us sticking to this.

Sorry so long but thanks for reading and any suggestions will be appreciated.

Last edited by CIRCLES; 09-13-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typo in topic, but couldnt change it
CIRCLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Have you considered TOPS (tops.org)? It is much, much cheaper than Weight Watcher's, and is much more open to children. I believe that TOPS allows children age 10 (or it could be 11) and up.

Some areas even have specific chapters for kids, but even in the mostly adult meetings, the games and contests that chapters run often appeal to kids as much or more than they do for the adults.

tops.org will help you find a meeting in your area. Annual dues would be $36 for you and your son ($24 for a single person, $36 for two family members) and includes a monthly magazine. Then you pay chapter dues, which are under $5 per month in most chapters (our chapter charges $3) per month. In most clubs there are ways to win small cash prizes or free monthly dues, or other ways to "earn back" some of your investment.

Most groups run at least the biggest loser contest (called that long before the show was created), in which everyone who gains that week pays a small fine (our group charges a dime per pound), and the person who loses the most that week, takes all those dimes home.

Often other contests are run, for small prizes. There's also national recognition for weight loss (some chapters buy trophies, some give paper awards, and if you're biggest loser in your division, you will get recognition in the magazine (which I believe you can decline if you don't want it to appear). Divisions are based upon starting weight, age, and whether or not you had weight loss surgery.

I know you say you can't do meetings right now, but you also said you have a hard time with staying on track. For me, the group support, the weekly weigh-ins, and even the silly competitions, really keep me invested and interested for the long haul.

There's nothing wrong with doing it on your own, if you are able to, but TOPS is such an amazing organization, I can't help but sing its' praises at any opportunity.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-13-2008 at 10:33 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #3  

Default Help

Hi Kaplods

Thanks for the reply. I went straight to the TOPS site and there is not a meeting near me. That is one reason I kinda always stick to WW for myself when I do try to loose. There is a lot of info on the web for WW and if I can go the meeting route they are usually close.

Do you think WW would not be safe for a child? From what I see they only promote healthy eating. They dont omit any food groups like some diets. I appreciate feed back.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #4  

I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that the WW plan is or isn't safe for a child, especially a particular child. I know it's formulated with adult nutrition in mind. I would wonder if children would need more dairy - or the same or more or fewer calories than an adult of the same weight (which is how WW assigns the points) I just don't know. My gut feeling is the Core would be safer than assigning a specific point level without talking to a dietician or doctor first (ideally a dietician, since doctors aren't always very knowledgeable about nutrition).

I know that many nutritionists and dieticians recommend that if possible, during the "growing years," to have a child maintain his/her weight and grow into it, rather than try to lose weight. But some children (myself included, when I was a kid) reach a weight that is too high for them as an adult, so maintenance isn't necessarily a realistic option.

Personally, I'd recommend a check-up for your son, where you can talk to his doctor (and even more ideally a nutritionist). The school nurse might be a good resource, or even the health department - or if there is a WIC office in your area, they should be willing to answer some questions over the phone.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-13-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #5  

Default Help

Kaplods

Thanks alot for taking the time to read and respond. I really appreciate your willingness to offer suggestions. What you say makes alot of sense and I will start with his doctor, hey they even say for adults to check with their before starting a program. The doctor will probably suggest a nutrionist.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #6  

No problem,

I also just thought of another, perhaps better resource. A diabetic educator. Most hospitals have one, who might be able to talk with you (at least for a few minutes) free about the nutritional needs of an 11 year old boy.

I know I've read books on diabetes that recommended a certain number and distribution of exchanges for children. I just can't remember the titles of the books. I'm more familiar with exchanges than points, as I've been a WW member since the point system, but most of my WW experience was when it was still exchanges (which is what I still use now).

I personally think one of the weaknesses of the point system is that it doesn't enforce a balanced diet, it just "encourages" it. That's both a strength (appeals to a lot of people and is very flexible) and a weakness (balancing the diet is up to you, seperate from the counting of points). As long as you follow the Healthy Guidelines, for an adult, you're doing pretty well, but I'm not sure if a child needs additional nutrition (a minimum of protein, starch, dairy, or fat) that is different from an adults.

I was overweight when I was in kindergarten, and my mom started putting me on some pretty low-calorie (some even crazy) diets with her. I think it backfired, and made me enormously food-obsessed. I think as long as your son is getting good, basic nutrition and doesn't feel like he is "starving" all the time, and can't eat when he is legitimately hungry, he'll do well.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-13-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:17 AM   #7  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Hi and welcome!
Congrats on seeing the problem and trying to correct it. I think WW is perfectly safe for anyone, as there is no restrictions on types of food - which makes for a healthy diet. If I could recommend something, how about setting up some healthy meal plans, but allowing him one crappy snack a day. That way he can still have a bag of chips and a coke if he wants too.
Also, I wonder how your husband can help too?
I think it's awesome that you want to help your son and yourself.
GOOD LUCK!
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #8  

I think there is a potential problem with the point alottment that WW gives. It could be too little (or too much, though that's probably not as likely) for a growing boy, depending upon his height, frame, and growth needs. Core, which allows you to eat when hungry, would be less of a problem, but if he is very hungry with the points allotted to him - it could be that he needs more food for growth. When boys start to enter puberty, their calorie needs and metabolism skyrocket.

Most of what I've read about childhood weight control recommends very slow weight loss (if any), because of the brain and physical development that is taking place. A dietician would be able to tell you what the minimum requirements are that would allow weight control, but not jeopardize healthy growth and development, and could provide some guidance on how fast a weight loss is too fast.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-14-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #9  

Hi Kaplods and Vixjean

I thank you both for your responses and taking the time to care and help me think this through.

I did go to my insurance carry website to look for a nutrionist and they are not covered by my plan. That is really a shame considering all you ever hear on the news is the obesity problems in adults and childern. I am diabetic I work in a hospital and when I went to the nutistionist there(for help with my diabetes) I was told they don't accept my insurance. Won't even give a curtosy to an employee. My endo reccommended one, the same thing don't accepy my insurance.

My son was so thin up until about 8 years old I never thought he would have a weight problem. The doctor tried to get me to give him things to make him eat and gain. Thank goodness I didnt. The weight started and has not let up at all. What I am noticing now is that he never seems to fill up. He will eat a big meal and still look for more or something sweet to follow it up. I think he is showing signs of diabetes and i'm going to take him to the doctor. I may even take him to a childerns endo may its something with the hormones.

As far as my husband he recently suffered a heart attack and stroke within one month. Thank God he's fine, but clueless to the weight loss battle or eating healthy. Sine his illness hes gained about 50lbs. I read so much about weight loss I do know what needs to be done I have not done it for myslef though. Now its not a choice I have to get it together for my son. Its a family battle.

Thanks for reading and sharing.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #10  

I think it's ridiculous that insurances won't pay for at least one visit to a dietician. Or that an insurance not cover diabetic education.

My husband is diabetic, and medicare (we're both on medicare as we're on disability) will pay for diabetic education for him every year. I'm insulin-resistant, and on metformin, and I get one-time only counseling. Our hospital offers free diabetic counseling education events at least once every year (usually during the women's health fair).
Old 09-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #11  
kristi

Height: 5'4

i know a girl i worked with brought her yound niece to wieght watchers and they accepted her with a doctors note
Kristi82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:53 PM   #12  

I was 8 when I first joined WW with my mother (1970). I don't know if they were "supposed to" allow me in, but they did. I remember the little food diary they gave me, and at the time you were supposed to eat liver every week, and raw cauliflower with butter salt was supposed to be "just like popcorn" (Even then I knew "looks like," didn't mean "tastes like").

If I'm remembering correctly, I had to have an extra milk exchange, because mom got 2, but I got 3. I don't know if there were any other differences between my program and my mothers, or whether the extra milk or any other differences were WW's idea or my doctor's though.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-20-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:59 AM   #13  
cher37

Hello! I'd like to jump in the the conversation .... I also have a son about yours' age, he's 10 1/2. We knew that he was overweight - had a good tummy overhang & a double chin and weighed 138lbs, at 4'9". Because he's tall we fooled ourselves that he'd grow out of his weight. Well.. the truth bit us in the butt - he was having chest pains when going on family walks. At this point my hubby & I came into agreement to help him (I'd been following WW myself, but we'd been been bringing home & sharing with my son chips, ice cream, pizza etc.) We decided to just feed him more of the core program foods (& not counting points). He's now lost 8 lbs. It's hard sometimes, he eats all the time (welcome to the tweens! LOL), but, he'll now grab a tall glass of skim milk, a yogurt, banana, pepper slices, cucumbers, cheese, apple, popcorn. It's a matter of having everything available for him (& for me - because remember, I'm on a diet too). We're not depriving him of little treats, as a family we'll go out once a week for a treat (vs. a whole meal of junk food).

Keep up the good work! You're doing a great job yourself & stay strong.

/cheryl
Old 09-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #14  

Try calling your local health department and ask about the dietician. It would be billed on a sliding income scale, if you are billed anything at all. Our county health dept even has websites for nutricional info. Good luck!
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote